Skip to main content
Dear Diery,
  my name is ellis wilson. i am 25. i am a private from  providince rode iland and i am marred to kathryn wilson. kathryn is a housemaid for a welthy family. my wife is scared of wat wil hapen if slavry ends altho she thinks it is rong. i hate slavry as much as my wife. my mother is a slav is gergia but she wil be free one day. she wil escape to the north thro the undergrond railroad. traning is tof and i mis my wife. if only i coud see her face one more time.  evry time i go to sleep i think about her and i miss her sweet soft smil.we got in a big fight because she did not want me to leave her she thinks i do not love her anymore but evry day i miss her with all my sole. evry day we get up we must stand and greet our regiment leeder and start owr work. since im a private i get payed 11-13 dolars a month. they told me that was alot so i beleved them. I just started camp of instructon where they will teach me the easy stuf. they gave me a uniform that had a wool cowt wool trowsers with suspenders socks cow shoes a shirt and a grayt coat. i  hav to work the hole day, even night And i work evryday! Life is hard as a soldier. Practically all we do is eat, drill, clean and  gard. Exept on sundays we go to church and clean up. Im still getting used to the prosess.
i hope woever sees this in the future will be able to change what is hapening today. Because of this my hole family is in trouble.

Sincerely,
Ellis Wilson

Private
Weak 1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aaron Spicker 1864 Blog : Word Mosaic

Enlistment Blog

Sisser, Ive joind a Unyun regement. It go by the name Raylroad to Gloree, and am glad that the Union could use my help as a fellr soldier. Evry day doin drills and fightin for our freedom I think of momma and pop pop in hevan and miss y'all deerly. The battel of Bull Run sur was terrefying and I dun yet now how ma'ny caseeltees we hav yet all I know is I was scared fer my life. Luck'ly I wasn't to hurt and soon I may b deployed to a Border State fer my next mission. But I sure am scared bout bein sent to the south becuse I may not bee a fre man.  Tell Father Alfred to keep me in'is prayers  because Im prayin to God and I thenk he's watchin ovr me and keepn me saef. and I onlee hope I can help my countree and finlly be a free man af'er this is ovr. Also I've been runin low on cloths and supplys becaus my group is ful of incoptenet fellers who can't rashin and was wondrin if maybe we culd sav up and yu could send som extra clothes from the factry to …

1863 Blog Recipe: Aaron Spicker

Dear Amy, 
Sisser Ive miss'd you so much while Iv ben away, me n' my regeemnt hav fin'lly been allowed to fite in the war! That man Abrahm Lincon did the rite thing, issuin that Emancepatun Proclomachon ill show em and all them rebels that us color'd folk can fiyt in the Civel War. We sure did show them at the battel o' Getteesburg . gess wat, I'm actually being payed for this, could tis git any better. When I finlly get back home maybe we can make sum good ol' Railroad cake with Father Alfred like we used to have with mamma and big poppa. Anything beats our hardtack, salt pork,  and any other rations we had bak at camp.
Railroad Cake Recipe : 
3 eggs  1/2 cup buttr  1 cup o' suger  1 cup flower  3 tablespoons milk 1 tablespoon of creem tarter  and 1/2 a teaspoon of soda